Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Re-entry

After a LONG hiatus, I am back to journaling. At least for now.


Part of the problem with taking a break from journaling is that when you decide to pick it back up, you have no idea where to start. Instead of trying to chronicle the many events that happened over the last few months, here's a random sampling of the things running through my head and filling my life right now.

1. I just got onto Pinterest. I have a love/hate relationship with it already. It's inspiring with all it's amazing ideas and depressing at the same time because who has the time? One thing I did try from it: the 100 workout. 100 jumping jacks, 90 crunches, 80 squats, 70 leg lifts, repeat till you've counted down to 10, then run for 10 minutes. I literally have not worked out since AUGUST. So, I've been hobbling around today, my quads so sore I've been wincing. But, it's kind of a great feeling at the same time.

2. I'm feeling really hopeful about 2012. Both for me and so many of my friends. There are signs of life all around. On a day in November when I was particularly sad and overwhelmed I asked my dear friend to pray for me. She shared this verse from Psalm 27 with me and I've kept thinking of it as we've entered this new year: "What would have become of me had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living! Wait and hope for the Lord. Be brave and let your heart endure."

3. Grant is about to be 5. As I've said before, 4 is a magical age and I'm not ready for it to be over. I had to check the 'kindergarten' box on his school registration form for next year and it was so sad to me. I remember thinking my sister was a crazy woman when Jake started kindergarten because she was so sentimental and teary about it all. But here I am, so oddly emotional about him turning 5. How can 5 seem so old?

4. My Lucy...she is a pill. Only 16 months and she can already arch her back and stomp her foot with the best toddler tantrum-thrower out there. I love her squishy arms and legs. I love that she's obsessed with shoes. I love the face she makes and what she does with her mouth when she comes toward you to give you a kiss.

5. Coming up on my year anniversary of being back at work. So many thoughts about this one but at the top of the list is one that could not have been predicted - gratitude.

6. Found a diamond earring this weekend that I lost over TWO years ago. What a find. It more than made up for the fact that I went through 2 iphones over the Christmas holidays. Yep, 2 phones. That actually happened. In less than 7 days. Jessica says the universe is trying to give me a message.

7. I am now on the 2012 entries in my 'One Line a Day' journal. I'm giddy about getting to February because then I'll be adding entries under the ones from last year. I can't recommend this little book enough, such a brilliant idea.

8. I love honest articles about parenting. Like this one. The ending is the best and a perfect description of chronos time vs. kairos time.

Whew, I did it. The band-aid from not writing in months is now torn off. Let's hope this lasts. At least for your sake, mom.

5 comments:

the bowlin family said...

and mine too!! i love your blog, your thoughts, and your insight. please keep it up. love ya!!

walkers said...

Yes please keep blogging- and make me do it too!!

Dawn Greer Hall said...

Way to go Mary! I love your post!

Christine said...

So glad you're back! I've missed your wonderful thoughts. Loved that parenting article as well, the chronos/kairos made so much sense to me. We need another date at Homestead Heritage to catch up!

E. Michelle said...

now come back and post again!